Wednesday 28 September 2011

Eliminate 404 errors! | Conserve Link Juice

Earlier today, I saw, and was impressed by a brilliant idea:
Why not trap all 404 errors (wrong URL), and redirect to a page related to what was typed in?
So there is no "404 error" page, and search engines don't think there's a dead link.

Initially, I thought "redirect 404 errors to homepage". That'd work, but the visitor would probably not get what they were looking for. Search engines would be happy, though.

So I thought: why not redirect to a page related to what the visitor typed as the URL? You could use tags and categories to help in this.

There's a PAID-FOR plugin that does this. It costs $97 for a multi-site license! :(

So, I had a look around, and found the "Smart 404" Wordpress plugin.. Which does exactly what I described above. It misses *some* keywords, but it's pretty damn good, and it's free.

All my main sites now use it..

No comments:

Post a Comment